Wednesday, August 19, 2026

My own (genuine) achievements and experiences

 Following the tragic fiasco of Jason Arday, who made a career on exponential claims of impossible achievements, we all have our own life experiences and achievements which are real, so there is never any need to fabricate a parallel fantasy life. And I believe it's not all about what you've done but how well you tell your story. By my age I could fill a telephone directory but will just pick the better ones. So here are all my slightly more than ordinary events, in the order I think of them, and add more whenever they come back to me. If you enjoyed reading this please write and share your own. There is nothing more interesting than real life.

I attended a live recording of Blue Peter in 1967.

I spent a few hours visiting Canada (yes, it was a coach trip from across the border).

I spent less than a minute in France in 1998 (I got off the Brussels train at Lille to set foot in France).

I had a group music lesson from Lionel Blair in 1972 for Oliver!

I have been on television about 9 times, including the Big Brother final in 2004.

I went to the next but top level of the Eiffel Tower in 1976 as we had a train to catch so didn't have time to go to the top.

I got the 6th ticket from the Victoria Line extension from Brixton, Princess Alexandra got the first.

I waved to Princess Anne across the Meadowbank Stadium at the 1970 Commonwealth Games and she appeared to wave back.

I may be LBC's longest regular caller, since 1980.

Ron Moody came to my bar mitzvah.

Topol came to watch me and my neighbour horse riding.

I went to an after show party with the cast of a play and listened to David Threlfall tell funny stories and Caroline Bliss announce she'd just got the part of Moneypenny in James Bond.

Wearing my Brentford 9 Owusu shirt at Brentford vs India, Lloyd Owusu fell over the fence and landed on top of me, and was shown live on TV.

I had tea with Julia Somerville when she came in the shop I worked in and her car broke down outside.

I met my local MP at the council election count where I stood for UKIP.

I drove my first stock car on a French track at 11. They were for children.

I played piano in a Jazz trio in the bar at the Washington Hilton.

I used to spend the odd weekend in a house with a retired MP as he was my girlfriend's uncle. I also repaired a dent in his car.

I flew in a helicopter for the first time at 65.

I have visited four continents (Europe, America, Asia and Africa).

My grandparents and I went for tea with Donovan on the Isle of Skye in 1969, he was staying in a caravan outside his derelict house which was being renovated. He was actually asleep so we were entertained by his wife who was very nice.

I used David Attenborough's toilet when I delivered a package there, he was out but his wife let me in.

I did deliver a package direct to Jim Henson in his office as he wanted all deliveries to be handed to him in person. I saw all the team sewing muppets around a large dining table.

Paul McCartney came to my school as Linda's daughter was joining my class, when Jim Dale came the same year for his son, we all mobbed him and got his autograph, but when Paul McCartney arrived we stood still in awe from a distance.

One of my paintings was selected by Grayson Perry for an outdoor exhibition which never happened.

I went on a date with a government minister's daughter.

I sat in on David Starkey's radio programme on Talk Radio in 1994.

No comments: