Monday, December 08, 2008

Old road sign collections


Willesden Lane sign
Originally uploaded by satguru.

I have been tracking down and taking these pre 1963 signs as my latest project before they all go, which has provided a fascinating lesson into road history and geography as a result. In 1963 these were replaced by the new ones designed by Worboys, but I remember them as the norm well into the 70s and plenty still exist. In 1994 the local ones which had blue edges became black and strangely fewer exist and are filthy as you can see.

Camden Town sign

I also saw my second red triangle sign and forgot where, the first being on the corner of my old road and pretty sure I forgot to take it, and also forgot where the new one was although have a vague idea. I'll have to wait a week as it was in Surrey. I've got quite a collection now and half aren't on any other sites either.

In other business after being discredited last week, EON UK announced they couldn't drop prices when wholesale energy went down as the government forced them to spend it on fucking wind power. Literally money up in smoke there as if it was that simple we'd all keep our lights on by lighting our farts and keeping the windows open for a draught. Or something like that. OK, that looks stupid, but it's exactly as stupid as relying on wind power. Meanwhile almost each week new evidence arises disproving any human effect on potential global warming (it's cooled since 1998 remember), how many holes this Leviathan has to get in it before it sinks beats me, but they all need to be made until enough people realise it's fiction.
Plans this week, guess what. Taking more old road signs. I've been doing rail bridges as well and got some bloody good trains and arch bridges, as well as numerous parks which are often next to them. And guess what, from the large heap of messages I sent last month one has replied! Better than nothing, and makes me wonder what hopeless bastards the other people can be as if I actually know someone I learnt as a child to reply when I was spoken to. Too much for them clearly after deliberately announcing their presence on a website like a beacon.

The photos will keep me busy all week now, plus my second repeat work booking so business as boring usual. It's a start but will not actually get me any Nobel prizes or other recognition besides as an anorak but at least that's who I am, and I do it bloody well I think.

1 comment:

David said...

Thanks Julissa, it's been pretty quiet round here for a while but I keep going regardless. After all, if I'm here life keeps going on and this is where I report it. Not much hair to weave mind you...