Wednesday, April 06, 2011

How far will the guidance go?

I am watching the system closely at the moment. All's well that ends well has always been my view, and should a system able to deliver that in the short term represent the whole, then it could be possible for every single area of my life to fall into place on its own, as it has the last two days already. I'm not calling this God or any other label as the best logic would tell us it is only our own subconscious pulling the strings and as such not external to our own being. But regardless of source my conscious mind made plans, possibly inspired in themselves, but with only those two specific plans ended up with every possible outcome I hadn't planned or expected and couldn't have if I tried. The road signs are a hobby like any valuable antique collector. They were abandoned in 1963, and the main prohibition and warning signs were replaced soon after, except for a few mainly private roads where they weren't covered by the rules or a few where they were overlooked. Direction signs did better as they are telling you the identical information whatever the style, and each is unique as specific to that location. Streetview has allowed me to now drive roads online and then anything that turns up is visited and photographed if still there. Half or so I've come across since 2008 are gone already, and would have no record if not photographed first.

So, having streetviewed nearly all the feasible areas I moved on to a new project of driving as far as I could to cover more map squares for a different site. With my physical limitations an hour or so each way is enough before I can feel like I've come down with something so 30 miles is pretty well it at the moment and fast running out of places as a result. My last reasonable one was planned for Sunday but as I was up too late had to think of an alternative. The map told me Purley was the only quick one I had left to do down that way, and set off, planning to turn right where I normally turn left. Except there was a straight on on the same bend hidden by the corner where I normally turn, and we took that and ended up on the same road we'd just turned off as it was a loopback. The map said turn right on the next main road which also went to Purley, via a smaller road, and half way down I stopped to take photos and saw an old sign on the corner, becoming two on closer inspection. No one else had posted them or I'd have gone, and had apparently missed that spot on Streetview as I hadn't coloured the map in on the yellow or orange roads and trusted my memory by pencilling all new signs discovered. That alone needed about three or more steps to get to that point, but the next day I did the longer trip.

A month ago someone took about six old signs in Surrey where I was and lost the notes, and I located a few bar one with few clues as to its location, and after three weeks on Streetview had only eliminated half of Surrey. I planned an exact route and the very final point where I expected to turn, not possible to get lost as a single long main road, had that sign I'd spent weeks searching for. The chance of planning a route finishing at the exact spot a random sign was located after I'd seen a photo of the road to recognise the setting rather than before where it may have been missed are almost zero. So as well as doing both planned trips had mopped up three signs I'd probably not have come across otherwise except if he'd remembered where the last one was eventually (and if not after a month wouldn't be that likely).

Extending from there, I was aimed at these signs regardless of my intent and plans. I planned to take photos in new areas, and virtually lost all hope of finding any more signs. If weird stuff happens enough it tells me it's actually not weird but happening outside our previous knowledge of the world. If so then the signs are only one demonstration among everything. Why not everything else? Today I was inundated with jobs to do before I even woke up as all the messages were waiting for me. Granted today was my day off after two on the road, and just planned to take the bike out to get some food. I ended up working this afternoon, being booked for two more jobs and having to drive across London tomorrow as I left my camera somewhere. Normally it would be pissed off but if life is sending me in these directions and can place rewards there maybe each apparent task is to get me something I couldn't have got otherwise. It's got me a heap of signs so I know it can.

No comments: