All the time the soggy wets on the warming side roll out the stock neo-fascist phrase 'well of course this study to dismiss global warming is funded by the fossil fuel industry'. It's simplistic and moronic mindsets like that which allow the thieves to come to our houses while the residents have left the doors open, the keys for their car and the bedroom door to their wives and daughters open with a free pack of condoms ready. Exploitation is cruel and immoral. This is the true situation.
1) There is no such thing as 'big oil'. The accused companies are actually 'energy companies'. They produce and sell power. They do not care how they do it as their sole motive is profit.
2) Therefore Shell, BP, Exxon-Mobil etc will sell as much 'green energy' as they can if it makes them a profit. The fact that these have been promoted (enforced in many countries by law) using tax subsidies guarantees a level of profit above and beyond fossil fuel.
3) Climate policies restrict the use and exploration of fossil fuel. This has one single effect. It raises the price of the reserves. Consumption remains stable as fuel is an essential, and as a result is not sensitive to price rises.
4) Therefore existing gas and oil reserves are now worth way over their market price, ramping up the value of all oil companies' assets for no added effort.
5) Carbon credits made billions for energy companies in the EU as they were given free and sold on the markets, again, for absolutely no added work. If at a future date, they are paid for this all just gets passed onto the consumers as energy is not price sensitive as we would die without it.
6) Knowing 1-5 it comes as no surprise that much of the funding for research to promote the theory of man made warming comes as much from energy companies as activist groups. They know they are not against it even if everyone here does not.