Monday, July 16, 2007

Nostalgia

It doesn't take much to start me off. Someone mentioned Brenda Blethyn, and when I looked up Chance in a Million, saw a photo of her with Simon Callow just as when I fell for her in the first episode. Then Fresh Fields, Sally Thomsett and Linda Bellingham. I should be so lucky. I did get a packet of Newcastle Metro tickets last week sent to me, the last traditional tickets in regular UK train usage. It's a shame it's so far otherwise I'd be up there for a few hours and collect as many as possible, even though they only have one station like the old Tube tickets, and some even have numbers instead of names. But they are real tickets, not the toys they provide on every other service. I could always fly there but as always the journey to the airport takes longer than the flight and I expect very few flights there from anywhere on earth.

In 20 years time I can't see much nostalgia in 2007. Hardly. Even though there's no mileage in it I've thought about moving, but a flat in NW11 (Golders Green) would be 25% higher than I'd get and the service charges on top of that. And how can a cat get in and out? Meanwhile the term 'In the can' now means something else to me. Two TV programmes. I haven't heard about the late one yet, and wonder when I will, and the other will be sent on DVD about January with any luck. The other was due last week, my arse.
This week besides a couple of client bookings is clear. I haven't really even got any jobs left to do. Nothing special really. The garden had it's regular seeing to last week and the house is even up to scratch besides some filing, although the drawers and cupboards could do with some emptying. The details are mainly irrelevant as it's doing all this alone that takes most of the fun out of it. Now if I get any TV news this week that will improve things greatly. I don't get paid for it, allow them to so deserve the respect any other workers would get. Like fuck.

Last week was OK, after the filming I had the odd visitor, went to Hampstead Heath and took loads of photos. The usual bike rides, gardening as mentioned and a few more calls to the radio. With or without a job I'd do the same things in my spare time but be judged less for them as we can't be expected to do much after a hard week at work which I haven't done since 1989, full time anyhow. Or even part time, some years later. Of course I've done many things for nothing since then and know at least the people I did them for value them and was more important than earning profits for an employer.
When life was good I still had plenty of problems, exams, no girlfriend for months on end, family problems, and loads of time being left on my own while my parents were working. But besides the exams which were the worst things I ever had to do they were good times. Now I have little left, paper qualifications only get you work if you're lucky, and respect, houses shelter, and money relative security. But without people you may as well be dead and in the coffin already. Just as much conversation and excitement. The source of most of my problems and without a miracle the rest of my life. God forbid.

No comments: