Thursday, September 04, 2008

Friends not exactly reunited

Having had no idea what I was going to say last time it looks like an epic now which was not intended or expected. Since then the current phase of just having enough to do on the day and no more has continued. Trips to Barnet and Stanmore for various local scenery/road signs etc, still catching up with old friends on searches and that's about it. Tomorrow, assuming they're open (totally unreliable), I'm dropping off a pack of postcards at the art gallery with my other stuff there, and maybe they'll actually sell something at last. Then I'm contacting the printers and hopefully get some economical ones done as well.

Another weird phase recently has been people I knew and caught up with disappearing in mid conversation. They email me with loads of news and get plenty back and then suddenly vanish, including a couple since we've been on the phone. I'm pretty harmless with my calls, the worst possibly being my nosiness, but that's only interest. I haven't made any obscene suggestions or comments (I save them for here and with my close friends who appreciate them) and very rarely even start trying to make arrangements at the moment as apart from easy local trips aren't really ready for all that work yet. Maybe the fact I don't instantly ask them all for coffee in Golders Green could have put a few off, although there was nothing stopping them asking me. One woman once I barely knew invited me over almost straight away, with all the signs she was after a quick one. That was just when I got ill and not being the most attractive of my targets (not even a target actually) waited months to call, by when she'd obviously got fed up and sent me packing. I expect she was getting it elsewhere by then and good luck to her.
I have just emailed a woman who was the mother of one of the sweetest and best looking girls I've ever met who is now teaching art in Spain. No reply. And found someone I was on a cruise with in 1974 who had an article about him online who got my email today. I keep finding more people I knew and if like my friend who struck the jackpot doing this very thing live in hope. You've already done the work with people you used to know rather than go through it all from scratch when you're at an age you barely ever meet new people.

Just for those who doubt my activity level, I've slowly got back into the groove this year simply as my energy has started coming back. Two art exhibitions, the first football match for a few years, another bus open day and some more hospital visits after going a few times a week for half of 2005. That was one reason for my decline as they also lasted around 2 hours and in the end virtually finished me off. As they did the rest of my family who all had to do the same thing when my grandma was ill for so long. At times I wondered if I'd ever be able to do anything past the most basic after 2 years with so little energy and an assortment of other symptoms. I have a medicine cabinet now with almost as wide a selection of prescribed drugs as my grandma. Some thank goodness are now in reserve, and the last dizzy pills were just as good left over from over ten years since the last bout before I ordered the new ones. There's another tube of ear antibiotic just in case, plus my tachycardia pills I may well take for many more years as that came back again big time as well, something I first had at 14 and nearly gave the doctor a heart attack when he measured the speed. He was pretty old and did die not that long after as it happens. And just to be complete I've got the tranquilisers I use before I go out to most places.
And a bottle of stuff from the chemist for when I get the shits from my irritable bowel, which at least is relatively quiet at the moment.

Other than that I'm fine...


2 comments:

tashi said...

Glad to hear your health and energy is returning David. Though I did grit my teeth a bit while reading your comments about the medicine cabinet. In your blog you really don't talk at length about your health issues ... its easy to forget you deal with physical challenges as well as some psychological ones. I hope at least your anonymous detractors take note and cut you a bit of slack for the realisation. All the best with your health David.

David said...

Thanks Tashi, that's more or less why I wrote them. You can't expect some people to believe you without all the evidence. Once your resistance goes down from stress the germs walk in and take over. I even had chicken pox for the first time in 2006 which ruined the whole of one of the only good summers we've had for ages.