Saturday, July 16, 2005

I'm in love!


Tatjana Blacher Posted by Picasa

OK, technically I was in love- in 1968!

Let me explain...

My mum just went through a whole pile of holiday photos I possibly hadn't seen for 20-30 years, including Tatjana's father, the late composer Boris Blacher. The first Dartington Summer school of music we attended in 1968 (of 22 in a row for me, at least) was spent in a week in the next block from the Blacher family. Though I was only 8 (unless it was 1969) my 'love mechanism' was well turned on even then, and though it was a totally innocent friendship (like I knew anything else at the time...) she was truly amazing. She even invited me to spend the night with her, an experience I remember as if it was yesterday, and got me into a pile of trouble for disappearing without permission. I think I was on a bed right next to hers, and we were very close for the whole week. I'd completely forgotten about her as she was from Germany and I don't think ever returned while we were there again.

Anyway, of course the first thing I thought of doing was a google just in case. Her father of course raised a heap of musical entries, but when I tried her name (the 'j' in the middle appeared courtesy of the search feature) it turned out she was still in Berlin and a big time actress there! Of course she's aged a wee bit (a lot better than I have) but that's definitely her! There was a black and white picture as well which was far more like the girl I remembered, but I preferred to show her here in colour (it makes more of her hair). But what memories- amazing to think of some of the people we meet who could have led to so much more had they lived nearby, unless it is in fact all planned somehow. To keep the Harry Hill theme going, 'what are the chances of that happening?'. Pure nostalgia.

No comments: