Saturday, March 25, 2006

Achievements

As is goes, I've done a heck of a lot this week. It makes a change and at least means the tablets have given me my strength back.
I've shown the photos I took toady, just before the heavens opened, and as flickr needs a week to reopen I posted photos of each area with a short description on Funtrivia, where I have my 'clean' blog now, and means we get to know a lot more members than we mixed with before.
I have just about sorted out the painting, only tiny details left, and I'll call it a day. Not enough detail is possible with watercolour so I won't try and overdo it, as long as everything looks reasonable it'll be framed and shown as it is, and scanned for here.

I saw an old friend from Manchester for the first time in a few years this week, which made a change. Dentist on Wednesday (the crown is high after a few days to test) so will have to get it rubbed down next time I'm there. I now have a selection of wonderful work forms to fill in next, which is on top of the continuing essays I will be writing for the course. And I don't get paid for any of it, it's all admin and I actually have to pay to submit most of them. Looking over this page I hope it doesn't bore the readers as much as it bores me. By slagging off God yesterday (as have many great academics recently) I may have set myself up for trouble if I'm wrong, but he hasn't got me yet. And as they showed in the Star Trek film, any God who punished us for disbelieving wouldn't be God, just an evil entity. I doubt there's any entity, besides the one writing here. See it all as a dream and even though we can suddenly waken to know it's a dream and everything in it is us, we still can barely control it.

Where the control comes may be the phenomenon of becoming an adept. One who can control their circumstances with the power of their thought. Few people offer public ways of this, one book I have with a way would need so much effort you may as well carry on as before as the way they offer really isn't worth the trouble, especially should you spend six months practicing tp find out it doesn't work. Instead I tried methods that took a couple of hours effort to find they didn't work. Far more economical waste of time.
I expect there's an exact figure relating to the amount of influence we have over our lives. Taking into account every element common to life as a human being, you could enter all the data and discover each individual can direct 3.5% of their lives.
That's the amount I'd expect, though whatever figure arose we could do nothing more than we can whether it feels like we have more or less power than we do. And we've got to accept that.

Human nature isn't satisfied with it though, and wants more power. Buddhists go the other way, and say we have no power and should accept whatever happens as it is, while doing our best as that is our true way. I turned it on its head though. Buddhists say you will only become enlightened once you accept everything as it is. I think a silly bugger got in somewhere and turned the true theory backwards. It makes sense if you say 'Once you are enlightened, you accept everything as it is'. That's what keeps me looking, and otherwise it would be saying the same as if you can lift 100kg you can go to the gym regularly. No, if you go to the gym regularly you can lift 100kg. The result has to be achieved from the growth, not the other way round! Accepting everything as it is is so against our natures as to confound the logic of anyone who still believes it to be the route. It's the bloody effect of enlightenment, not the cause. The cause is good practice, (as my legal mind always adds) assuming it exists at all...

Meanwhile my dream continues, and if it's still raining my potential walk will turn into more time on the internet. But little changes at the moment really, just less of it.

1 comment:

Sharon Schoepe said...

Your version of Buddha's quote sounds much more accurate. As for God....you wouldn't be alone as a disbeliever. Not much evidence pointing to the existence of a loving entity.