Thursday, December 29, 2005

Caca


Unlike yesterday I was in all day till the evening, but did have enough really shit jobs that not only had to be done but were done, so at least I have something to show for it. One observation with both a negative and positive side was I thought if I'd had a partner the identical day should have been so much better as I could have either shared the work or at least had someone to speak to when I was emptying saucepans from the rotting kitchen cupboards into a cardboard box, defrosting a block of ice in the fridge the size of two Hovis loaves (which will take about 10 hours to melt at least) and then mop up the resulting floor deluge (as I did yesterday). The cat kept popping up between myself and whatever I was trying to do but it's really not the same. The positive side is at least I think life could be better, though whether it'll ever happen is another story. A visit to the Thai bride website may be the only way now- I said (quite accurately) if I wasn't married by 40 I'd drop my standards drastically, and the result was the women also raised theirs. So now I think if I'm not married by 50 it's maybe that or sod all apparently. I know people who have and they seemed to have been pretty settled so who knows...

For the first time in nearly 2 years the computer froze since last night to not long ago, like it did about monthly on Windows 98. The differemce was on Windows 98 I nearly always found why and sorted it. On XP it just says 'processor use 100%' when you're running bugger all, and whatever you shut down (besides my firewall last night) nothing happens. Today everything was haywire even though all my scans came up negative, and now it's OK just by turning it off and on again. I hope it's going to behave now as though apart from this I had nothing left to do on the computer I will sooner or later ie tomorrow evening.

Then when I went to grandma's she had an interesting job for me, her hoover bag was full. But not the sort you replace, she has the posh sort that you empty. Now you'd think Hoover (for it was one) would have a zip or hatch like a kangaroo pouch to do it, but you pull the bag out and it comes out from the same little hole it went in. You don't hold it up and shake it, you have to put two fingers in and pull strings of it out, surrounded by clouds of dust. Not as bad as harvesting my mum's compost but up there.
The email situation has improved, like my letters all my replies came in a little bunch (though my email has seriously jammed thanks to NTLs marvellous security that doesn't let viruses in but fucks up your programs for you). Liz Jones from the Mail on Sunday sent me a lovely reply, but the bad news is she's just stopped her weekly column about her marriage. Maybe a vacancy looms?! I also heard from the Toyah Willcox fansite that they want to use my story about her coming to my house for an audition there. It was amazing to read her story about meeting Joel Bogen, who became her guitarist, in his bedroom behind our house. The internet draws together so many past experiences in one place which would have been lost otherwise. Now Jenny Eclair appears to be away, so maybe when she returns I'll get one from there as well. I have heard nothing from the Jewish paper I sent my pieces on Jewish humour, as Jackie Mason says, it was probably too Jewish. Oy gevalt...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

On the topic of Jewishness and Kingsbury - did you know that the character of (Ted) Margolis in Jack Rosenthal's "The Knowledge" was from Kingsbury. Play was made in 1979. Its not very Jewish around here any more...


Rob (in Kinloch Drive, NW9)

David said...

I'd forgotten that, but I remember the show. Barmitzvah boy had to be his best though.
There were a number when we used to be here but few left by the time we left in 1965. Good to see another local though, can't be too many of us around!

David said...

If you email me I'll tell you my location as well.